The idea that there are basic 6 human needs that drive us is an interesting concept. According to Tony Robbins, our needs are as follows:
- Certainty. We all want comfort. And much of this comfort comes from certainty.
- Uncertainty. At the same time we want certainty, we also crave variety. Paradoxically, there needs to be enough UNcertainty to provide spice and adventure in our lives.
- Significance. Deep down, we all want to be important. We want our life to have meaning and significance. I can imagine no worse a death than to think my life didn’t matter.
- Connection/Love. It would be hard to argue against the need for love. We want to feel part of a community. We want to be cared for and cared about.
- Growth. To become better, to improve our skills, to stretch and excel may be more evident in some than others, but it’s there.
- Contribution. The desire to contribute something of value—to help others, to make the world a better place than we found it is in all of us.
Do these resonate with you?